The procedure used by Allen to create this beautiful piece of Artwork was:
- Create the outer shape of the vase – do not hollow it as this stage – the strength of the core is needed.
- Use a hacksaw to make two cuts for the length of the fold/crease/overlap along the vase.
- Use carving tools and sandpaper to refine the shape of the fold.
- When satisfied – turn out the core – with care as the shaping of the fold will reduce the available wall thickness.
- Cut the V in the rim and along the fold.
- Do the final sanding – with care to preserve the edges of the fold.
- Use a spirit dye, applied with a sponge to give the background colour.
- Use an airbrush to apply the red and the green colours.
- Use clear lacquer to give the final finish.
Click on a picture to see it full size. – Â use the right and left arrow keys to navigate. Â The right pointing triangle will start a slideshow.